The Funza Lushaka Bursary is a prestigious financial aid program in South Africa that aims to develop qualified teachers for the country’s education system. If you are interested in becoming a teacher and wish to apply for the Funza Lushaka Bursary for the 2023/2024 academic year, follow these easy steps to access, register, and apply for the bursary.
Step-by-Step Guide to Apply for Funza Lushaka Bursary
- Open the e-Gov Portal: Visit the e-Gov portal by going to www.eservices.gov.za on your web browser.
- Register: Provide your personal information and complete the registration process on the e-Gov portal.
- Login: Login to the e-Gov portal using the username and password you created during the registration process.
- Access Funza Lushaka Bursary Scheme: On the e-Services menu, select the Funza Lushaka Bursary Scheme option.
- Enter OTP: Enter the One-Time Password (OTP) received through your preferred channel for verification purposes.
- Accept Terms and Conditions: Read and accept the Terms and Conditions of the Funza Lushaka Bursary Scheme.
- Select 2023 Application: On the dashboard menu, click on the “2023” application button to start the application process for the 2023/2024 academic year.
- Complete Required Fields: Follow the steps provided and fill in all the required fields with your personal and academic information.
- Confirm Information: Accept the declaration to confirm that the information you have provided is accurate and truthful.
- Submit Application: Submit your completed application through the e-Gov portal.
Eligibility Criteria and Selection Process
Before applying for the Funza Lushaka Bursary, it is important to understand the eligibility criteria and selection process. Here are some key points to consider:
- Age Requirement: All first-time applicants must be 30 years old or younger to be eligible for the Funza Lushaka Bursary.
- Criminal Record: Applicants with a criminal record, misconduct charges, or previous dismissals from work are not eligible to apply for the bursary.
- Priority Exclusions: Allocation of Funza Lushaka bursaries to Higher Education Institution employees, their spouses, or their dependents/children is not allowed.
- Academic Ability: Applicants should demonstrate good academic ability and meet the minimum academic criteria for the bursary.
- Teaching Specialization: The bursary funds undergraduate and graduate studies in education, specializing in Foundation Phase, Intermediate Phase, and Senior and Further Education and Training Teaching.
- Selection Criteria: Selection criteria include academic ability, commitment to a teaching career, acceptance into an approved B.Ed. degree or PGCE program, and readiness to teach in any school assigned by a Provincial Education Department (PED).
For detailed information on the selection criteria and minimum academic criteria, refer to the official guidelines provided by the Funza Lushaka Bursary program.
Funding and Repayment
The Funza Lushaka Bursary covers various essential expenses for recipients, including tuition fees, accommodation (including meals), books and learning materials, teaching practice, and a small allowance for monthly living expenses. However, the total value of the bursary may vary depending on the cost structure of the university.
Recipients of the bursary will be required to teach for a period equal to the duration of the bursary received. There is no automatic promise of financial support beyond the fourth year of study, but re-awards may be considered based on academic performance and fund availability.
It is important to note that the Funza Lushaka Bursary is a highly competitive program, and the selection process is rigorous. Meeting the minimum criteria does not guarantee automatic acceptance. The program only awards a limited number of bursaries to the best-qualified students.